Sunday, August 1, 2010

Day one: 15 minute streams of consciousness

Perhaps I should explain. I’ve been meaning to get back here and start writing again. Yeah I’ve been meaning to do a lot of things. So I needed to kick start the whole thing with a big ground of things I ‘;ve been thinking of doing for some time now. The first up is this. The title of this is 15 minute streams of conscousness, and as you will sure enough note there are a lot of grammatically speellling and punctuation mistakes. That’s because I’m back to doing this free style just keeping the fingers moving over the keyboard. I apologize for those who don’t know what the hell is going on. But I started doing this a while back when I was still in school./ The idea of the exercise is to just let yo’re mind float. In a way it is a lot like improve. All you’re doing is letting the first things that come into your mind come out on to the page. I wanted to do this for that reason. It was a cheap way to get pthings up on the page. But in a way  this is sort of keeping in the spirtit of this blog. The whole idea behind turning off your auto pilot is to realize we have all this stuff that we do automatically without even thinking about it. And ever now and then you need to shut it off and reassess it. See if you’re auto pilot is really necessary. I got the whole Idea driving around with my friend Dave for a number of years. Every now and again he would start driving someplace and realize he was going in the totally wrong direction. What had happened was his auto pilot was taking him to one of the few places he went normaallyh. Ideal the autopilot just helps you filter information. WE can’t spend every moment analyizing all that is around us. If we did we would enver get anything done. So we let the autopilot handle it. This dovetail’s nicely with something I heard on the radiolab podcast about human limits. They had a story of a man who remembered everything. I mean everything he ever saw. At first this doesn’t seem like such a bad idea I mean, a doctor started analyzing him had him do a whole bunch of test, he was able to recall from memory all of dante’s inferno in Italian a language he did no speak. Truly amazsing stuff. But wo with this knowledge that he was unique and that no one could really do what he does what does he decide to do, well monetize the whole thing naturally. But you see at this point no one has ever tried to push him as hard as he is about to push himself. What he starts doing is performing in front of crowds having them shouyt out phrase numbers and sound. And after some time he starts recalling everything he heard verbatim. He was a success a hit. And he did this for a while, but our brain is a funny thing, when you remember things it triggers a whole bunch of other memories, and you see he remembered everything. So imagine some one yells out dog, now your brain makes the connect to the last dog you saw, then it makes a connection to the dog you saw before that and the one before that and the one before that, and then you start thinking about scooy doo, and the jetsons and all of hanna barberra, snaglettooh, and all the times you heard anyone say exit stage left and the honeymooners and all the times you wanted to send someone to the moon and again every moon landing and all the times you wanted to do something for your country and the time you were stuck in the woods and you didn’t know where civilization was and you though hell I don’t even like camping why am I out here. AAnd then you remember that guy who got trapped under a boulder and had to cut his own arm off to free himself, and yout think ‘ll never be that badass. But hell you do somethings, I’ve been tubbing down the delware that’s pretty kck ass. Then you remember the boyscout troop that sailed p-assed you on kayaks when you were lonunging with a beer in that innertube, and you think to yourse;lf I’m never going to have kids because I’m emotionally distant and everyone I mean I just want to have meaningless sex with. There has to be something moere to life. But then you think hell I have a good job and in this ecconmy that it a blessing. Either way the point is a lot of things come to mind and you can’t stop it. Well this guy had that but for every single moment of his life and every single connection he made led to more connections. It’s like that episode of silly sympohnes, a bunch of diseny cartoons I watched as a kid. They had this pari of guinea pigs that started mating, and mating and mating and soon there were so many pigs around that noone could get aantyhing done. Well here is the thing, welll besides the fact that with all that incest there would bound to be a lot of abnormalities with all the pigs but here is the thing the human mind is just not built to take all that stimulation at once and hence we shut a lot of it down and rely on our auto pilot to get us through the day. And the point is sometimes we should look at how the autopilot is constructed because we can change our autopilot and maybe it will take us to better places.


Things I learned today/First day bas: It truly amazes me sometimes that I’ve lived on this earth for lo these many years and there is still some really fucking basic things I just haven’t learned yet. For those moments I have Things I’ve learned today(#T.I.L.T.): today I started back on 2 minute rounds.  What I didn’t know till today: that I can get a cramp under my shoulder blade.

No comments: