Friday, July 2, 2010

Is it too late to call it the freshman 15?: I know I’m not fat revisited

It’s been almost 10 months since I penned I know I’m not fat, quite literally a school semester has past and I have put on 15 pounds. I’m up to 225 and while the number is a little shocking to my conscious, I’m not worried about a change in appearance because quite frankly there has not been much of one. To look at me is to question where that number comes from. What has changed in the last few months is my level of activity. I’ve gotten a helluva lot busier and as a result I’m home a whole lot less. This has effectively made cooking all the more difficult. This means I’m eating out a bunch more. Eating out in America is the bane of any weight management program, but I’ve let the situation get a bit out of hand. While I still make the same positive choices on the value of food, there has been a noticeable up tick in the quantity I eat in a given sitting. Again it is nothing I should worry about. My obsession with this topic is half hearted at best. Still it is important to note that with my schedule fuller these days my level of physical exertion has gone down considerable. I used to rollerblade every weekday and lift heavy tables every weekend. These two activities have decrease of late, and as a result adjustments to my intake must be made. The main motivation of this whole enterprise is clothing. I hate buying clothes. The activity just is not that thrilling to me. I spent many a day growing up going to malls with my mom, and while I have no real problem mallratting the day away I would like to avoid the prospect of having multiple sizes of clothing.  The question remains if I’m really not that concerned about the change in weight why am I writing about it for a second time. Well quite honestly I don't like that number. I know it doesn't mean anything bad. I know muscle weighs more than fat, and I’m probably doing quite well in the muscle/fat ratio the only useful indicator of fitness generally used. Still lugging around extra weight is not very efficient. Fact of the matter is it will be easier to lose now, as opposed to waiting till the situation becomes an actual problem. Besides the summer is here and it should be relatively easier to find methods of being active. Plus saying it out loud is a motivator. It is pledge to myself to make a change. Sadly like Kobayashi I may end up not participating in any competitive eating contests in the near future. The cookout world has lost a great competitor.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You shouldn't have eaten the other have of my burger, fatty!