Monday, April 19, 2010

Perhaps Sarah isn’t that dumb


Ugh, I haven’t mentioned Sarah Palin specifically in posts much because she’s an attention whore and granting her name in print just fosters her ego and boosts he speaking fees. However I’m compelled to comment on the Celebutician because she appealed for help, and I feel it is my duty to provide her with it. The thing is unlike most people of my slant I don’t believe she’s an idiot. That’s not to say I think she’s particularly smart either. I think she’s like most of us, however most of us are not put into a situation where the more people speak your name be it in praise or infamy increases your marketability, and therefore your bank account. You see Sarah isn’t an idiot she’s just incredibly selfish. Her, and Glen Beck for that matter, don’t give a damn about any of this stuff. I surmise they’ve made the calculation that it’s only a matter of time before there stars dim and they won’t be drawing the crowds, and if they acted on their own this would be true. The problem is the money they make is peanuts compared to the money they make for others. It’s the others that make money off a divided nation. Look before I get to far out there, I’m not talking about a conspiracy to keep us all fighting, I doubt there is any kind of illuminati type group controlling anything. When I say others I refer to the collective short sightedness of the left and right, the groups that make political hay because it raises the money in their coffers, the people for whom the ends justify the means. The people who whisper go just a little further it will rally the people in our cause.
While I believe Sarah is making a selfish calculation, I do not believe her followers are aware that what she say's is absolute nonsense. Recently while discussing our role in global conflicts President Obama stated:
“It is a vital national security interest of the United States to reduce these conflicts because whether we like it or not, we remain a dominant military superpower, and when conflicts break out, one way or another we get pulled into them. And that ends up costing us significantly in terms of both blood and treasure.”
The Celebutician responded with this jaw dropper:
“I would hope that our leaders in Washington, D.C., understand we like to be a dominant superpower," the former Alaska governor said. "I don't understand a world view where we have to question whether we like it or not that America is powerful."
This isn’t idiotic like most people who aren’t drinking the Palinade tend to dismiss it. It is in fact quite brilliant. It takes an industrious person to skew a comment by the president designed to acknowledge and balance the differing views across the world of isolationism and global policing, into a statement of a man afraid to wield the power of the last super nation. And if you believe that the entire government and a majority of voting Americans chose to ignore the fact that Barack Obama wasn’t born in this country this is equally plausible.
Sarah is like a punk rock band, she keeps playing the same three cords and her fans are just lapping it up. However the band Mindless self indulgence said it best:
You think you're saying something relevant as you connect the dots
You never realized you have to get in line to suck a c**k
You're telling me that fifty million screaming fans are never wrong
I'm telling you that fifty million screaming fans are f**king morons
You don’t mean it
…So you accepted
Honestly does this not some up everything…


photo from John Schlemmer video

No comments: